If you enjoy drinking coffee every day but do not like the way it stains your teeth, you may wonder if there is anything you can do to remove the stains and whiten your smile. If so, use the following home treatment to whiten your teeth using a strawberry and lemon paste.
What You Will Need
Before you begin, gather the following ingredients and supplies.
- Small bowl
- Dinner fork
- One large strawberry with the stem removed
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice
- One tablespoon of baking soda
- Cotton swab
- One-half cup of warm water
The lemon juice deep cleans the surface of your teeth, helping to remove the plaque that can absorb coffee and intensify the stains. The acidity of the juice also bleaches your teeth's enamel. However, do not keep the treatment on longer than stated in the directions and make sure to rinse thoroughly, since the lemon juice can also erode your teeth if left on for an extended period.
The strawberries in this treatment help soften plaque and whiten your teeth. When left in the paste, the rounded seeds gently scrape the surface of your teeth, removing the top layer of tartar to expose the enamel.
Baking soda gives the paste a mild abrasive quality. It also neutralizes the acids in the coffee, helping to break up its stain-causing film.
Once you have everything you need, follow the instructions below to make your strawberry and lemon paste.
- In the small bowl, use the fork to mash up the whole strawberry, leaving the seeds in with the pulp.
- Add the lemon juice, and stir thoroughly.
- Mix in the baking soda. If the paste is too gritty, add a few drops of lemon juice until you have a smooth consistency.
- Use the cotton swab to apply a thin layer of the paste to the surface of your teeth.
- Leave the treatment on for about two to three minutes.
- Wet your toothbrush, and gently brush the paste into your teeth for about a minute.
- Leave the paste on for an additional minute.
- Rinse your mouth with half of the water, and then spit it out.
- Rinse with the other half, and brush your teeth as usual.
Using the above treatment once a week can help lighten the coffee stains on your teeth. However, if you have stubborn stains, you may want to visit a cosmetic dentistry clinic, such as Associates For Family Dentistry, to see about having your teeth professionally whitened.